Episode 1 - Clippy is Gone Now, Clippy Was Not a Help
We discuss paper writing, figure making, debate the merits of our favorite software, and discuss a possible explanation of last week’s mysterious booms in Oklahoma. Shannon also discovers that John does strange things with his spare time and a police radar gun. We discuss the demise of clippy, the MS Word virtual assistant.
Paper and Report Writing
- John uses LaTeX, specifically MacTeX
- Shannon uses MS Word mostly
- There is value in features like track changes, scripting, distraction free environments, formatting, figure numbering, etc.
- John uses markdown initially to have a distraction free writing environment (in the atom editor)
- LaTeX help is easy to find!
Poster and Figure Making
Update on Oklahoma Booms
- There was talk that these could have been a result of a thermal inversion
- Demo of how sound bends in an inversion can be found on Dr. Dan Russell’s site and this YouTube video.
- Civil War may have been influenced by acoustic propagation. There is a summary article and book about it.
- We found a 1984 newspaper article from Oklahoma mentioning this phenomena.
#FunPaperFriday - Radio Bursts from Blitzars
Show - www.dontpanicgeocast.com - @dontpanicgeo - firstname.lastname@example.org
John Leeman - www.johnrleeman.com - @geo_leeman
Shannon Dulin - @ShannonDulin
Any opinions, findings, and conclusions or recommendations expressed in this material are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of our employers or funding agencies.