This week we get ready for conference abstract deadlines and talk about how we prepare abstracts. Everyone is finally back in town, but not for long!
- Pluto show next week!
- Abstract deadlines: AGU 8/5, GSA 8/11
- GSA, new topical abstracts (search visually by emoji!)
How we prepare to write abstracts
- Choosing the topical material. When do you stop reporting on research?*
- Think about what session to submit to
- Mind maps
- Stream of conscience writing
- Abstract Madlibs
- Don’t do this steps hours before it is due. Leave days to mull it over
- How preliminary is your data? Is it ready for an abstract?
Writing the abstract
- Check the conference guidelines… then check them again.
- Open an editor. John uses plain text editors initially.
- Send it around for others to look at
- Decide on authorship early
Tools for collaborating (a whole other show)
- Google docs
- Evernote (although everyone involved needs premium)
- Email… if you do this, please don’t admit it
- How to pick a session (look for others you know?)
- Submission system crashing
- Getting people to edit it!
Fun Paper Friday
This week we read about recovering old sounds from recordings with a microscope. Also hearing cursing at lab instruments in the old days. Nothing changes.
A Sweet Sound: Physicists Reconstruct Primitive Recordings
Applied Science SEM vinyl image
Show - www.dontpanicgeocast.com - @dontpanicgeo - email@example.com
John Leeman - www.johnrleeman.com - @geo_leeman
Shannon Dulin - @ShannonDulin